New York has no national monuments or icons, according to the Department of Homeland Security form obtained by ABC News. That was a key factor used to determine that New York City should have its anti-terror funds slashed by 40 percent–from $207.5 million in 2005 to $124.4 million in 2006.All I can tell you is if you look at their worksheets, and it says that New York City doesn't have any high visibility national icons …
I mean, I don't have to list the Brooklyn Bridge, the United Nations, Rockefeller Center, the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building and the Stock Exchange," New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in response
to ABC News' questions.
The formula did not consider as
landmarks or icons: The Empire State Building, The United Nations, The
Statue of Liberty and others found on several terror target hit lists.
It also left off notable landmarks, such as the New York Public
Library, Times Square, City Hall and at least three of the nation's
most renowned museums: The Guggenheim, The Metropolitan and The Museum
of Natural History.
"I think the facts are clear," Bloomberg said. "What they've really
done is taken what was supposed to be threat-based and just started to
distribute it as normal pork."
The form ignored that New York City is the capital of the world financial markets and merely stated the city had four significant bank assets.
Okay, the SecDHS Chertoff has to go.
The whole domestic security and emergency support function has to be redone. That means DHS…bye-bye.
What should be done (this is a first pass, without much reflection):
- Fire the SecDHS
- De-Establish DHS
- Some of the old DHS can be folded into a new Department of Global Security and Support (that can do domestic and international SysAdmin activities and projects per PNM Theory)
- DGSS will be flat and network like (and will make use of contractors, markets, and locals)
- DGSS Internationally will be aligned with the overseas Combatant Commands (except that Europe Command will have the Africa portions split off into a Separate Africa Command)
- Domestically it will be aligned with Northern Command and have US Geographic districts of: Pacific/West, SouthWest, Midwest, North East,South East. Unplanned Emergency drills will test and improve readiness. Create a on-line role playing game for further testing. Tilt bonuses and promotions toward the the results of the games and drills.
- Adopt Dominant Logistics suggestions like: create secure air and port zones, Use retiring ICBMs as launch vehicles for emergency satellites, Field a force of 400 aircraft specific to the mission of global security and support (firefighting, emergency communications hubs, material movement etc.)
- Create a Volunteer Emergency Support Militia of US citizens with special training in firefighting, EMT support, rescue operations, mass disaster event logistics, HAZMAT, dog operations, anti-looting security, Communication technology, civil engineering, hygiene/sanitation operations, etc.
- Geographically disperse Federal Agencies
- create rapid replacement rules for the House and Supreme Court (the Senate is okay as is)
- Create a Separate MI5-like Domestic Security Intelligence Service (DSIS)
- Create Special 4GW/Terrorism Courts
- Real Tradecraft for the Air Marshalls Service. Where should it go? Put it under the Justice Department or make it the Office of Air Security and Intelligence and put it under the DSIS
Ok, I should not write when I am pissed off. I will think some more about this and present fuller plans on how to replace DHS and associated security and support functions.
Here are some things that are not important to DHS:
Updated: I added info about handling the Air Marshalls Service.
Update: Like minds on the SecDHS…