The US Constitution is an excellent document that is part of the core US domestic rule set. It provides a scheme of check and balances that lead to a complex system behavior.
The system needs some tweaking in response to the findings of public choice theory, to fix small inherent flaws or contradictions, and to make other changes for the 21st century.
This PurpleSlog series will suggest 26 amendments, (plus 2 “stretch” amendments). Additionally I will note 9 common amendment ideas that I think should be passed on.
My Concern/Caveat: The list of amendments comes from years of thinking and note taking. I have documented the source/inspiration of the idea when remember it or have it noted. Some of the ideas where mine and then combined with like proposals. I will add further documentation as I find or as it is brought to my attention.
List of Suggested Amendments:
– Legislative Apportionment by Citizen Population Amendment
– Term Limits for the House of Representatives Amendment
– Term Limits for the Senate Amendment
– States Optional Power for Congressional Recall Amendment
– Filling Vacancies in the House of Representatives Amendment
– Confirmation Process Time Constraint Amendment
– Basic Rules for the Operation of Congress Amendment
– Spending Control Amendment
– Spending and Taxing Consideration Amendment
– Modern Warfighting Power Amendment
– Presidential Election Adjustment Amendment
– Presidential Pardon Power Restriction Amendment
– Spending Separation and Reduction Veto Amendment
– Judiciary Removal Amendment
– Supreme Court Term Limits Amendment
– Constitutional Amending Process Amendment
– Banning Foreign Involvement in the U.S. Political Process Amendment
– Real Campaign Finance Reform Amendment
– Citizenship Legacy Rights Amendment
– Not Above the Law Amendment
– Voter Consent NOTA Amendment
– Rights and States Clarification Amendment
– United States Law Supremacy Amendment
– Eminent Domain Powers Clarification Amendment
– Crime Victims Bill of Rights Amendment
– Extraordinary Crime Category Recognition Amendment
– Freedom of Choice Constitutional Amendment
– Plain English Constitutional Amendment
– Direct election of president
– Lengthening of congressional terms
– anti-flag burning
– Allow non-native president
– Strict Marriage Amendment
– So-call Equality Amendment
– DC Statehood or Equal Representation Amendment
– Direct election of judges
– Anti-abortion amendment
– Vice-Presidential Electoral Vote Process Amendment
– Presidential Electoral Vote Process Amendment
– Commerce Clause Clarification Amendment
– Flag Desecration Federalism Control Amendment
Update: Yikes! Corrected to 8 parts, plus this intro.
Update: I crossed out the anti-flag burning amendment to reflect my changed belief and have added a 9th part which will included things I have learned from this series.
Update: Barring Courts From Relying On Foreign Law (#36?)