1) Re-establish and maintain going forward a viable domestic US auto industry capability that can successfully compete domestically and globally.
2) Minimize the net disruption to the US economy while transitioning and recovering.
Goal #1 Implies:
– products that consumers want to buy
– reasonable profitability above the cost of capital
– private ownership
– robust product development and R&D
– efficient internal processes and supply chain mangement
– competes successfully globally
– New executive leadership
Goal #1 Does not Imply:
– any particular target of total sales
– any particular target of jobs retained
– any particular target of brands of models retained
Goal #2 Implies:
– Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
– USGOV assistance post-Chapter11
– Quick – not drawn out
Goal #2 Does not Imply:
– Chapter 7 bankruptcy
– No layoffs
– No plant closings
More to come.